Operated 1956 — Jan. 19, 1958
The Canadian Football Council was formed in 1956 with G. Sydney Halter at Commissioner. The CFC brought together the nine professional teams from the IRFU and WIFU under one organization. The two unions continued to operate as autonomous entities under the CFC during its existence. The CFC was renamed the Canadian Football League in 1958 when they withdrew from the Canadian Rugby Union.